Today, cancer is among the leading deadly diseases in the United States with a dramatic epidemic increase over the last 50 years. This has led experts to the conclusion that, our lifestyle and environment must play an essential role in determining whether or not we contract cancer. Apparently, it is a very frightening disease. It gets even scarier as we get older forcing governments to invest billions in finding a solution to the epidemic. It is responsible for one in every four deaths and probably the second leading deadly disease today; indeed, it seems unstoppable.
As a result, we can’t help but wonder if it will happen to us someday. We can’t also stop thinking that it is way out of our control. However, would it help prevent us from worrying if we knew that 90% of all the cancers are preventable and are linked to our lifestyle; something that we all have total control over? There are measures that every person can observe to reduce the risk of contracting cancer as well as the other severe diseases while still improving our lives and live longer and healthier.
Some of the Preventive Measures include:
- Keeping a Healthy Weight: While being overweight increases the risk of many cancers, maintaining a healthy weight lowers your risk of contracting several of these cancers including breast, prostate, lung, kidney, and colon.
- Observing a Healthy Diet: Today, most of us rely more on junk food rather than the healthy recommended meals. Long before processed foods got into our markets, we never heard of cancer infections. The modern lifestyle has had a negative impact on our health. However, eating fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and whole grains are linked to lower cancer risks. Also, use safe beauty products like natural cleansing face mask. Most products are filled with unsafe and harsh chemicals.
- Exercising regularly: Physical activity has shown that it might lower your risk of colon and breast cancer significantly. 45 minutes of exercise a day is excellent to keep a healthy mind and body. Regular exercising builds up your health resilience factors, gives your body a higher fighting ability and enhances your immune system.
- Regular Check-Ups: There are usually no symptoms in the early stages of cancer; however, routine screening helps you detect these cancers at their early stages making it easier to treat.
- Less Tobacco Intake: Smoking is responsible for one in every five deaths today; 80% of lung cancer deaths are due to smoking tobacco products. Therefore it is wiser to lessen your tobacco intake if not stopping it altogether.
- Reduced Alcohol Consumption: We all know that excessive alcohol consumption is harmful to our health. Furthermore, it also increases your cancer contraction risk; moderate drinking is a wise decision in reducing the risks.
Have a healthy lifestyle, reduce stress and take the right decision for your body and health. Make wise choices, exercise, and avoid unhealthy habits. Moderation is the key, don’t poison your body with excess alcohol, snacks and tobacco, look for organic food with the necessary nutrients and avoid processed food as much as you can. Besides, the body has mechanisms in place to identify and destroy cancerous cells before they get out of control.